There have been recent changes to the National Curriculum. Details of handwriting requirements can be found on page 6 of the assessment frameworks for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
- Choosing a Handwriting Scheme, Developing a Handwriting Policy for Your School, Tips for Teaching
- Book an Inset for your school In-Service (Inset) Training
Do you want to raise standards in your school?
- Our book on Developing a Handwriting Policy for Your School might help.
- We publish books on other handwriting topics and short, succinct Tips for Teaching on card that might help you in your work. Note that there are reduced rates for members of NHA, and the Tips for Teaching may be downloaded free by Members.
- You could sign up for a handwriting course.
- Or arrange for our in-service team to visit your school.
Are you concerned about one particular child’s handwriting?
- Look in the Providing Help section.
- Look in the section About Handwriting Difficulties.
- Look at the case studies using the DASH measurement of handwriting speed A Comparison of Two Case Studies Using the Detailed Assessment of Speed of Handwriting (DASH) and also assessment tools for handwriting difficulties.
- Keep in touch with us. We are gradually increasing the material on this website and send out a free email newsletter ‘Write’ every quarter informing about recent news and events coming up. Do check the website for additions and send your name and email address to request a free copy of Write, including a note of your interest as a teacher. We welcome any suggestions to improve our website.